[VHFcontesting] Rover Antenna Mounting Hardware

kb7dqh at donobi.net kb7dqh at donobi.net
Fri May 29 01:10:04 PDT 2009

Guess it depends if the antennae are to be mounted to the vehicle and used
while in motion or if one needs to assemble the station at a fixed
location, then pack it all up and move somewhere else.

I "hambrewed" a tilt-over crankup tower and welded the the hinge to my first
"rover" vehicle's sheetmeteal!  The  antenna mast slipped over a short
pipe clamped into the rotator, and was locked into position with a
hitchpin.
Antennas were fastened to the mast with more "hambrewed" quick-connect
clamps, fabricated out of "vise-grip" pliers and angle-iron, these "u"
bolted to the mast.  The clamps weighed more than the antennas they
supported with  the possible exception of my 6 meter Yagi, six elements on
20 feet of boom, which also came apart in three sections and was held
together with hitchpins.  The Whole mess, all five bands worth, could be
put
on the air from setting the parking brake to first QSO in less than an hour!

Then I wanted the same gain in a "run-and-gun" configuration, so changed
everything!

Then I bought a "real rover vehicle" which can run four stations
simultaneously in "run-and-gun" as well as "operationally fixed",

and everything changed again.  Other than running masts through the roof
of the vehicle, the antenna hardware used is typical of "base station"
assemblies.

Look me up on Youtube and view the videos posted by VE7DXG!

Eric
KB7DQH