[VHFcontesting] KG6IYN - Prep for June ARRL Contest for Saturday May 30th

Bruce Kripton bkripton at pacbell.net
Sun May 31 13:26:59 PDT 2009

Both kids had baseball games that were rained out and fields closed due to poor conditions and safety (go figure, Southern California on late May).

Change of plans - Go in to ad-hoc mode (read, no real dedicated equipment set up) and join local countywise all day T-Hunt with my sons instead.

By strange coincidence (grin) this allowed my to do a drive by and site inspection of my contesting spot in DM12rr as this was in the local hunt area. Rechecked to ensure soil quality and pack would be good enough to use the military tripods and other supports needed for two weeks out. If the soil is really loose and powdery I have to use three and four foot lengths of re-bar and or steel spikes to hold stuff in the ground. Soil looks good and the January / February rains are probably the reason for that.

Stopped on the way home to let the boys have their first ever "Sonic Drive-In" meal (we just had our first open here in southern California about three weeks ago) and discussed planning for the contest while enjoying the food.

Arrived home, set up and tested the Demi 120 watt 1296 amp with the Icom 910H, all is well, seeing about 100 watts out with about two watts of drive in the current configuration.

Tested the replacement TE Systems 220 amp (bought last year but never used when I had a family emergency cancel my contesting efforts) with the Icom '375, all is well.

Replaced two of the four MRF492's in my TE Systems 50 MHz amplifier, unknown why these quit or had a problem, but found some interesting "things" missed during the construction of the unit that I have tried to fix - will try to test this tomorrow.

Sunday will probably be a light day for work, contesting is great, but family is more important :-)

- KG6IYN