[VHFcontesting] Rovers and the Authorites

Steve Clifford k4gun.r at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 05:48:34 PDT 2009

My only interaction with the law happened on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and
Tunnel.  One the bridge police stopped by my operating location and started
his conversation like this:  "I'm not here because you're doing anything
wrong, but I've got to ask... what is all of this?"  I explained and while
talking to him, I heard a station near Winchester Va (over 150 miles away)
calling CQ.  I answered and made the QSO with the cop watching.  His eyes
got big.

"You just talked to a guy near Winchester?  I need you to talk to my
captain.  We can barely talk to the other side of this bridge!"

I gave him my contact information as a courtesy, but knew I wouldn't be
called.  He was really impressed and left me alone.

I've seen a number of other cops, but none have bothered to have a closer
look.  I must appear to belong where ever I am.  LOL..

Steve
K4GUN/R