[VHFcontesting] Rovers and the Authorites

Eric Watkins shelshok at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 18:45:27 PDT 2009

Nothing against people doing actual emergency response work but, I'd
hate for new rovers to think one must get all hamsexy to be a contest rover.

I have never once been stopped or questioned by the police while
roving and I have a large(12f max height) antenna array on the roof
of the rover. I was asked by an MP to move along when I parked too
close to the air force base in Colorado Springs, but the issue was
proximity, not my activities or the way the rover looked.  Spiffy
lights and a vest wouldn't have changed his mind, just made things worse.

We do encounter police all the time on the road, most pull past, look
once and move on. My driver and I talked about it and our thoughts
were that they have crack heads and people who do crime to pursue.
Our rover op is clean and well presented(I think) and we don't drive
like we are drunk(the driver never operates). We're just not a
priority for them.

I think it would attract unwanted attention if we were: a)
starting/stopping often in high traffic areas, b) wearing emergency
looking garb and c) using official looking lights. Perhaps in this
area the police are used to seeing storm chasers and don't give us
another thought. We also don't park the rover in downtown civic
parking lots or motor past heavily attended public events.

Stay on the road when moving, get well off when you aren't. Drive
with courtesy, do your thing and don't harm others. Stay in the car
and operate more than you are wandering around outside of it.  These
things keep us out of the sights of the police, no hamsexy needed.
Don't get me wrong; do bring your license.

krover/r