[VHFcontesting] stacked yagi's

Paul Kiesel k7cw at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 10:56:46 PDT 2010

If you use a power divider, use two equal lengths (it doesn't matter how long they are) of 50 ohm coax, from the power divider ports to each yagi. The impedance transformation is going on in the power divider, so  you already have 50 ohms available at each of the power divider's ports.

If you elect to use coax, use 75 ohm coax so you get the proper impedance transformation. You must use exact multiples of an electrical half wavelength. You will want to use as little coax as possible to reduce your losses in the coax, so if you elect to make both lengths of coax an EVEN number of half wavelengths long, then you will orient the feeds of the antennas so that they are both on the same side, symmetrical with each other, if you will. But, if you decide to have one length of coax be an EVEN number of half wavelengths long and the other length of coax an ODD number of half wavelengths long, then you will need to reverse the feed on the second yagi so that it is reverse from the first yagi. This is because the extra half wavelength of coax that you have going to one of the yagis will result in a 180 degree shift in phase. So, in order to get both antennas in phase with each other, you will need to reverse the feed on one of them by flipping the
 antenna upside-down or by mechanically re-arranging the feed.

73,
Paul, K7CW