[VHFcontesting] Getting started on Lasers

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Thu Apr 15 07:37:55 PDT 2010

Clint Turner, KA7OEI has created a very helpful new page for those who've always wanted to try long distance laser communications. I'm proud to call Clint a friend, since we go way back to the "Lowfer" days of experimentation with CCW on the 160-190KHz band.

His writing style and clear, straight forward style that makes technical material easy to understand. This new web page is no exception. He also currently has completed a world record optical QSO of over 107 miles...so he knows what it takes to make DX qso's in this range.

http://modulatedlight.org/optical_comms/using_laser_pointers.html

You'll find circuits, tips of modifying the Ramsey Electronics laser communicator kit, and practical approaches to extending distance.

Personally, building two laser transceivers for use in contests has been on my VHF "To Do" list for a year or more. I've even contemplated making a serious attempt at VUCC on the band, which requires working five grids via laser. Four is pretty easy, since this can be done at any grid intersection...but working that 5th grid is a bit more problematic. (Ha, Ha)

For rovers, "laser" is the cheapest band upgrade you can add. Two kits from Ramsey would cost less than $100, and far less if you homebrew using cheap laser pointers. Give one to a fixed station, and "drive by" to work them during the contest.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf