[VHFcontesting] Update on the VHF components of the new ARRL Web Site

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Sun Aug 1 17:49:53 PDT 2010

Gene W3ZZ wrote:

> Please do NOT blame the working staff. In fact without the
> intervention of Sean Kutzko we would have nothing. Part of
> the problem is lack of manpower...

ARRL has been using for-profit fund-raising organizations to beat the drum
for extra donations for years. We've all received their many mailings. I
don't know how effective this has been, but obviously these organizations
don't work for free. Is the League getting its money's worth out of these
consultants? I personally tend to doubt it, but of course I could be dead
wrong.

In any case, while I suppose this is heresy of some sort, hams being where
they generally are on the political spectrum (yours truly excepted), maybe
it's time for the ARRL to think seriously about the necessity of a
significant dues increase, along with perhaps some other fees. You can't run
an organization without adequate funds, and non-profit organizations are
especially vulnerable because they typically have nothing to fall back upon
in tough times.

My gut feel is that they are afraid to raise dues for fear that the
membership would rebel en masse -- and I suppose some members might in fact
do that. I think that would be very short-sighted, but what do I know.

I do know that the ARRL staff I'm personally acquainted with make a LOT less
money working for the ARRL than they could make in an equivalent or even a
lesser job in the private sector. This is true pretty much throughout the
non-profit sector; people who choose to work in such organizations do so out
of a sense of personal passion and commitment. I personally think it's high
time the rest of us stepped up and showed where OUR personal commitment is,
and supported a well-reasoned and sensible increase in dues and fees revenue
for the League.

Just MHO. Flame away.

Bill W5WVO