[VHFcontesting] FN32 rover sites.

Walter A. Carrington wc at mathmicro.com
Mon Aug 30 12:39:12 PDT 2010

  The public parts of the  Mt. Everett road are not great rover sites in
any direction unless you can get permission to enter the gated part of
the road.  You can only get to a little over 2000';  the parking lot is
surrounded by tall trees.  I'd discourage hams from using the top of the
mountain because of the environmentally sensitive old growth forest
there, plus it's a 600' climb.
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/print/mt-washington.pdf

I haven't been to Haystack Mt. in Norfolk in decades.  There's a hike
from the parking lot to the top.  Maybe it's ok to the SW.  Try looking
on maps at the area just west of the Barkhamsted reservoir for a clear
shot to the NE.  I might be going to that area Labor day weekend;  let
me know if there's anyplace you want me to check.

There's always Mt. Greylock and sites in VT.

Perhaps Mt. Holyoke, 940', in Skinner State Park near Northampton Mass,
fn32qh?  It's not so high, but a good rise over the Connecticut River.

For FN31,  Dennis Hill  looks good, but I haven't been there.  I've
heard Mohawk Mt. is getting covered in trees.  There's also Above All Mt
in Warren, CT in FN31;  trees might be a problem.  I operated one
contest there in the 60s.

Let us know where you go.
--Walter, K1CMF