[VHFcontesting] 222 or 1296

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sun Jan 10 00:12:55 PST 2010

My experience is limited, having only participated in half a dozen or so VHF Contests, but I'd opt for the 222 MHz band. It's a quiet band, whose range often equals or seems to exceed that of 2 Meters even at similar power levels and antenna gain. Don't ask me how that could be possible, but it is--and I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

During the June contest for instance, I was running 200 watts on 2 Meters into a 10 element Yagi. Operating from Locust Ridge in EM63 at about 1,200 Feet ASL. Worked K5QE, Marshall in Texas for a new grid and quite a thrill. He was weak but very readable on 2 Meters. He reported my signal about the same. Switching to 222, K5QE literally blew me out of the truck with an S9+ signal...then the really amazing thing happened. He reported my signal as being the loudest he'd heard on 222 that evening.

The thing is I was running only 125 watts on 222, into a 12 element yagi. I'm experienced similar occurrences during other events too.

222 is literally my favorite VHF band, I only wish that more commercial equipment was available so that we'd have more folks to work. It's easy to get on with virtually any 10 Meter IF rig, a Demi or Elecraft transverter, and a small amp. Hey, if I can do it, anybody can!

I highly recommend the "forgotten band" of 222. Thought 1296 is a lot of fun too.

73

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park