[VHFcontesting] WSJT for random contacts in contests?

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Wed Jan 13 10:47:39 PST 2010

If you give the WSJT community a general schedule (like what days and times
of day for which grids), you can definitely make random contacts on meteor
scatter with your rig -- maybe not long 1200 mile contacts, but certainly in
the "sweet spot" range of 350-950 miles. The calling frequency on 6m is
50.260; on 2m, it is 144.140. Many meteor scatter contacts can be carried on
at the same time on the calling frequency because you're dealing with brief
pings, not solid signals. When you're working random (i.e., not scheduled on
Ping Jockey), this is the best way to do it. Just stay put on the calling
frequencies. No one will complain.

No, you cannot (or should not attempt to) work WSJT while driving. It
requires all your visual attention. Please stay alive! :-)

DM31 and DM32 are very rare grids, and I could definitely work you if you
are equipped for WSJT meteor scatter. Otherwise, not a chance.

Let me know if you would like more help with this. Are you subscribed to the
WSJT Yahoo group reflector? That would be a good place to start immediately.
Then get your gear set up and practice. There is a learning curve to working
WSJT/MS. It's simple in principle, not so simple in practice! But well worth
the work. You will be able to make a lot of contacts if you publicize what
you're planning to do and when in advance on the WSJT reflector and
elsewhere (like here).

Bill W5WVO