[VHFcontesting] WSJT for random contacts in contests?

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Wed Jan 13 07:39:06 PST 2010

Does anyone have experience using WSJT to make random contacts in VHF/UHF contacts? That is, calling CQ on a specific frequency without skeds and making contacts? Do you work enough additional contacts and grids to make it worthwhile?

Can anyone relate their WSJT experiences while mobile? Is it possible to make contacts while in motion? I rove in the contests and thought it might be productive to try to make a few WSJT contacts while underway from one grid to another. I can put out a reasonable amount of effective radiated power on 6M, 2M and 1.35M, so I am not sure that is a problem. In the September contest I ran a Moxon for 6M, a 6 element WA5VJB for 2M and a 6 element WA5VJB on 222 MHz. With 100 Watts to these antennas I think that there is enough oomph to make some WSJT contacts, but does anyone have experience actually doing this?

If there is no propagation, which there usually isn't in September or January, the bands can get lonely out here. I am looking for a way to increase my score. My experience is that with my setup, 3000 points is about all I can do without some way to extend the range. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey