[VHFcontesting] 70cm limits in Arizona

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Mon Jan 25 16:10:22 PST 2010

Found this at
http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=viewnews&id=863 :

"In 2004, a revised Footnote US7 in Part 2.106 of the Code of Federal
Regulations went into effect, further expanding the 50 W maximum output
power restriction in place for the 420-450 MHz band in the US Southwest.
(The applicable Part 97 Amateur Service rule is §97.303, which incorporates
§2.106 by reference.) "In talking to people at hamfests and other Amateur
Radio meetings, I've found that very few people are aware of this rule,"
says Bill Kauffman, W5YEJ, of the New Mexico Frequency Coordinating
Committee. While the previous version of §2.106(a), essentially covered the
White Sands Missile Range area of New Mexico, language effective as of
January 2004 expanded it to include all of New Mexico and Texas lying west
of 104° W. The 70 cm band is a shared allocation in the US, and federal
government users are primary. Amateur Radio, as a secondary occupant, may
not cause interference to primary government stations and must tolerate any
interference from government stations. The 50 W restriction continues to
apply to all of Arizona and Florida as well as parts of several other
states, including California, Nevada, Massachusetts, Alaska, North Dakota,
Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. Exceptions to the power limit must be
expressly authorized by the FCC after mutual agreement, on a case-by-case
basis, between the FCC District Director in the applicable district and the
Military Area Frequency Coordinator at the applicable military base."

Bill W5WVO