[VHFcontesting] Meteor Scatter

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Thu Jun 10 10:05:25 PDT 2010

Hi John,

For meteor scatter, FSK441 is always the preferred mode. Meteor pings must
be at least 1-2 seconds long to get through over JT6M's much slower data
rate. JT6M is of much better use for troposcatter, ionoscatter, or
sporadic-E propagation. Meteor pings are usually too quick for it.

50260 is the m/s calling frequency. If you are in FN21 and pointed west, you
should transmit on the 2nd sequence of each minute. The rule in North
America is that the westernmost station transmits first sequence.

When working on the calling frequency, do NOT use "shorthand" (single-tone)
messages, and DO add the suffix of the station you're working when
transmitting "roger+grid" (message Tx3), "roger" (message Tx4) and "73"
(message Tx5). There are many online documents that illustrate this
procedure. If you are new to working meteor scatter with WSJT, you should
read up on all the standard operating procedures first. See
http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/ and find the "Tutorial Files" box in the
left-hand pane. You will find a number of articles I wrote in there (W5WVO
Toolbox) as well as other useful stuff. Read it all. If you have any
questions, let me know.

Bill W5WVO
DM65qh