[VHFcontesting] Rover Liason Frequency

specrisk at aol.com specrisk at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 09:20:29 PST 2010

 To the list- I do not know whether this concept has been discussed before but I wonder if it would be a easy way for a fixed or portable operator could occasional check this frequency (What ever frequency could or would be  chosen) to see if rovers are within range. It could be on multiple bands but I would think just one band would probably be adequate. Perhaps 144.270 or 275 or higher by spacing of say 10 KHz used in the same fashion as the Microwave liason frequency of 144.260 is used during the 10 GHz contest. In that contest stations meet on 144.260 and QSY up or down usually in 10 KHz intervals. It is hard enough to find rovers because of pointing problems. I know there have been some sophisticated methods of locating them discussed but sometimes simplicity works well. This method may be in use already  for VHF contests but I am not aware of it. I suspect some of the rovers with MW capability use 144. 260 in this fashion but there are  rovers with the 3 or 4 lower bands that might not use 144.260. I wonder if there was consensus on  a "Rover" specific frequency that it would net more activity. There could be a "low end" frequency and perhaps an FM upper band alternative?
George, W1JHR