[VHFcontesting] Rover Liason Frequency

John D'Ausilio jdausilio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 13:58:50 PST 2010

A common rover frequency has it's pros and it's cons .. for example if
one frequency is in use by a number of rovers in the same general
area, then you need to have a protocol to move off the rover freq to
coordinate .. so now you need two freqs or coordinate on a different
band. If the fixed op checks your freq but you're off working the last
guy on 6/222/432 he often doesn't hang around and wait.

Back in the early 2000s when W3IY was active, he had all the ops in
the mid-atlantic trained to listen for him on .247. Since I've been
piloting the Jitney it's been hard to get more than a handful of guys
to pay attention to .247 (though those that do work us on 10 bands in
multiple grids).

Personally, I think self-spotting should be allowed for rovers ..
everyone knows where all the fixed stations are, but for the rovers
it's like playing hide and seek. You can assume that a rover is *not*
going to be on-schedule past the start time (and maybe not even then),
so schedules are only guidance. Propagation, equipment, and operating
skill will determine whether a contact is completed, whether there's
traffic on I-95 will be less of an issue :) and roving would be a lot
less frustrating (especially given the time/$$$/energy invested). Plus
it would make roving attractive to new guys .. nothing motivates a
newbie like a steady stream of QSOs ..

de w1rt/john