[VHFcontesting] Additional VHF contest awards

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 09:36:44 PST 2010

In addition to re-instituting single band categories here are a couple of other suggestions to increase activity.

In the 50s, when the VHF club competition started, in addition to the gavel awarded to the club, a certificate was awarded to the station in each club submitting the highest score. Perhaps this practice could be revived? It would increase participation in the club competition by giving entrants identifiable local competition for an award. W9KGA has shown that club competition is one of the major drivers of VHF contest activity.

A certificate for the rover who activates the most grids would also serve as an incentive for Rovers to visit more grids.

In general, too many categories and too many awards dilutes the meaning of them, so in general I am against category proliferation, but I think that the two above suggestions are awards for significant accomplishments which would increase participation.  - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey