[VHFcontesting] General VHF Rules 1.2 and 1.3

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 10:32:46 PST 2010

Duffy  -

I haven't done a lot of research, but then again nobody has ever provided
and authoritative answer.

I think the multi-entry rule has been around longer than rovers. My own
guess is that way, way back (60s?) there were single band entries, as well as
multiband entries. They did not want someone operating multiband and then
submitting multiple entries to win multiple single band awards.

The problem with the one-transmitter/call rule is that the person who
benefits - the big gun who these guys work - is not subject to the rule.   The
guys who would violate the rule to provide the manufactured qsos are not
going to submit a log anyway, so they are not affected.  Unless log  checking
is going to catch such qsos, if they indeed exist, the present rule  does
little to stop manufactured qsos.

Meanwhile it would be fun to fire up Sunday evening with a new call, and
work again all those guys I had worked earlier in the contest. And since a
fundamental law of contesting is "activity begets activity", having new guys
to  work later in the contest may well have benefits beyond just the
activity  generated by those new guys.

I think a rule such as "once a new call has been used from a given
location, any previously used call may not make any further qsos" would be the  way
to go.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 3/4/2010 12:21:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,