[VHFcontesting] Multiband VHF antennas

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 09:10:05 PST 2010

Since I am primarily operating as a QRP Portable in VHF contests, I
need all the help I can get in the antenna department. It would be
nice to have a multi-band antenna that performs as well as a
single-band antenna, but does such a beast exist?

I am using a 6-element long-spaced Yagi on 2m (12 foot boom), similar
design on 222 with 8 elements (also a 12 foot boom) and a 12 element
on 432 (10 foot boom). The 432 antenna seems to perform the best so I
don't plan on changing it just yet. 144 seems to be my weakest band,
so I want to build an antenna with a longer boom (maybe 18 feet) for
this year's contests. Maybe I'll go to something longer on 222 also.

73, Zack W9SZ