[VHFcontesting] Working K5QE in the Jan VHF Contest

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Thu Jan 20 20:18:06 PST 2011

Hello to all our friends in the VHF contesting world from the K5QE
contest team....

K5QE will be operating in the ARRL January VHF Contest and would really
appreciate any contacts that we can make via FSK441 digital meteor
scatter or EME for that "rare" grid.  The contest  begins 1900 UTC
Saturday and ends 0400 UTC Monday (Jan 22nd - 24th, 2010).  For those of
us still on local time, that is 1PM Central Time on Saturday to 10PM CST
Sunday night.

For those stations that are outside our normal range, I invite you to
try to work us on 6M and / or 2M using digital meteor scatter OR 2M EME.
On 6M, we will be operating WSJT FSK441 digital meteor scatter at
50.265MHz.  We will call CQ 265 on 50.260MHz, but we will RX on
50.265MHz and we will complete our contacts there.  If we are calling CQ
towards the NE, we will be on First Sequence.  If we are calling towards
the West or NW, we will be on Second Sequence.  We will begin 6M meteor
scatter operations at 0100Z Sunday morning = 7:00PM Sat Night and will
cease FSK operations at 6-7AM Local time on Sunday morning.  After that
time, we will resume normal tropo operations.

Since we are a Multi-Multi station, we will be looking at the
Ping-Jockey reflector whenever we are doing meteor scatter type
operations.  Due to the ARRL's rules, we can not post there.  Hence, you
can talk to us, but we cannot answer back.  Please feel free to spot us
AND our frequency on the appropriate logger if you see us--that way,
others can find us.  If you are not in the ARRL contest, you can post to
the logger freely.  Please remember that the contest requires the
exchange of *grids* not 26 or 27.  This is a good opportunity for
smaller stations to get a DX contact on 6M, because the chances of an Es
opening late at night are not very good.  Please give us a try on 6M
meteor scatter.  We run 1KW output on 6M meteor scatter with fairly
large antennas.

On 2M, we will mostly be operating EME during the late evening hours.
Our moonrise is 0320Z Sunday(=9:20PM Sat night).  If you would like a
meteor scatter sched on 2M, we need to run it before the moon rises OR
on Sunday afternoon.  Please write me if you want a specific 2M sched.
We will operate EME on 144.142MHz Second sequence.  If you are an EME
equipped station, please call us anytime after our moonrise.  Also,
please spot us on the N0UK reflector so that others can find us.  This
is very important for the smaller EME stations.

We may operate a bit of 2M digital meteor scatter before our moonrise.
If so, we will be RX on 144.142MHz.  We will call CQ 142 on 144.140MHz,
but we will complete our contacts on 144.142MHz.  Please call us there.
Most stations are East of us, so we will normally be operating on the
FIRST Sequence(but we can do 2nd sequence for any western station).  We
run a stacked pair of 17el M2's at 160ft and 1KW output on 2M FSK.  On
6M and 2M, we will cease digital meteor scatter operations at 7AM
CST(=1300Z) on Sunday morning and revert to normal tropo type operations.

Because we are a Multi-Multi station, we will be watching the PingJockey
logger whenever we are running meteor scatter.  However, we are not
allowed to "self spot"--so you can talk to us, we just can't talk back.
When we are on 2M EME, we will be watching the N0UK EME logger.  If you
see us or work us, please spot us on PingJockey or the N0UK EME
reflector.  If you are not in the contest, you can post freely to the
loggers.

Thank you in advance for spending some time to work us in the contest.

73 Marshall K5QE, EM31cj
www.k5qe.com

East Texas