[VHFcontesting] rant: rovers vs multi-ops on limited number of mountains

John D'Ausilio jdausilio at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 09:19:15 PDT 2011

I'll start by saying I don't have any good solution at this point ..

There are a limited number of microwave-suitable rover-accessible
spots available, and more of them become non-accessible each year.
The presence of a big multi-op station at a site makes it virtually
unusable for a microwave rover (we need to coordinate on low bands to
work microwaves, and high-power VHF tends to destroy our 144/432 IFs).
I don't rove in New England mainly because just about all of the
mountaintops are occupied by multi-ops .. so I've been roving the
mid-Appalachians and the I-80 corridor.
Camelback is occupied June and September, and now a group has decided
to occupy Big Mountain this September (and one can assume for future
'tests as well)

I'm not throwing stones at anyone, I'm just pointing out that this
trend is not a good sign for roving in general. Fewer site options
means more driving (at $4/gal) and less operating (and harder to
operate during prime time).
Ultimately it means fewer rovers visiting fewer grids.

de w1rt/john