[VHFcontesting] FM-Only Frequencies?

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Tue Dec 11 19:46:05 EST 2012

I'm excited about the new "FM Only" category that is scheduled to debut
in this January's VHF Sweepstakes Contest. I hope that other weak-signal VHF
operators are also looking forward to this development.

For most of us, it may mean adding a higher gain vertically polarized
antenna, more power on FM, etc.

My only concern is that it may be difficult for newcomers to "find" weak
signal operators who are looking for them. The National Simplex
frequency is off-limits, of course,
so what frequencies will you be monitoring in your area? For distant
questions, it's really necessary to monitor with the squelch
off--meaning that it would be helpful
to have two or three frequencies where weak signal operators could look
for newcomers and casual operators.

Personally, I think it would be great if the ARRL had published
"recommended" frequencies for the contest, but so far that suggestion
hasn't been acted on. So,
I'm curious--

1.) What are other weak signal operators doing differently in this
contest to support more FM activity? I'd love to hear about changes in
operating strategy, new or
improved gear, etc.

2.) What frequencies will you be monitoring or do you think will be
active in your area?

--
73,

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID