[VHFcontesting] FM-Only Frequencies?

Bob K0NR - email list list at k0nr.com
Wed Dec 12 09:50:22 EST 2012

I like the idea of the FM-only category... it won't make a huge difference in
activity
but it opens up the contest for people that don't have limited vhf stations.

But here's what happens next (based on many actual conversations):

Me: Hey, Charlie, there's an FM category in the VHF contests. You should give it
a try.

Charlie: OK, sounds great. I'll look for you on 146.52 MHz, right?

Me: Well, no, you can't use the FM calling frequency for calling in the contest.

Charlie: Really? If I was operating SSB, can I use the SSB calling frequency?

Me: Well, yes, that is allowed. But for some reason FM is treated differently.

Charlie: Wow, that seems dumb.

Me: Correct.