[VHFcontesting] FM-Only Frequencies?

Dave, WV9E dave at wv9e.net
Wed Dec 12 21:33:12 EST 2012

We use 146.46 n 146.42 almost regularly in mid EN43,  and some of the guys
have decent beams vertical, but nada horizontal, a couple have both.  I try
to mine 2m FM in the tests, but rarely get a bite.
If FM only is going to get more hams active in contests,  then we will  have
to do a good job of  promoting. I'll try and push the idea locally, maybe if
everyone mentions it at a club meeting or on the local rag net we could see
a surge in contestors.

 I bet there are ops out there just waiting to do something besides monitor
the local repeater or watch their APRS map dry, especially if they are also
suffering cabin fever (no HF).

An operator in a metro area could easily land a top 10 score with a Tri-band
HT and top floor apt or hill... it will be interesting to see the results.
6 meter FM, conditions like last year? Could also be interesting.

73,
Dave, WV9E