[VHFcontesting] Most wanted grids

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Wed Aug 21 08:37:03 EDT 2013

I'm not sure why an automatic purge would be needed, just use a simple LRU algorithm like a cache would use and let the least requested grids fall into oblivion.

I still think "most wanted" is based on region.  Most wanted grids for the NE USA are probably different that most wanted grids for the SW USA or Canada, or Europe, so some sort of correlation to the requester grid needs to be made so that clustering can be done, i.e.  operators in grids around FN42 are requesting FN52 (of which there is no land, completely in the Atlantic), while operators clustered in and around grid DN17 are requesting DN28...

Paul

	----- Original Message -----  From: Mike (KA5CVH) Urich <mike at ka5cvh.com>  To: Paul Decker <kg7hf at comcast.net>  Cc: beamar <beamar at aol.com>, (Radio) VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting at contesting.com>  Sent: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 03:37:32 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Most wanted grids	On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Paul Decker wrote:  > It is a great idea.	> Instead of purging, simply keep a "Most Recently Requested" list, never  > remove an entry, but have a voting scheme for the most wanted.	Mike asks	How can you have a voting scheme if you are keeping old data?  Without  some type of a time stamp filter wouldn't that sway the results?  And  if you are going to filter the data with a time stamp wouldn't an  automatic purge of entries after a certain time period be equally as  beneficial?   I'm asking because I am not a database person, much  beyond html & css I'm pretty useless anymore.	I'm sure that EL84 just dropped significantly and would not change if  those who had requested it didn't remove their request.	--   Mike Urich KA5CVH  http://ka5cvh.com	"Washington - Read the constitution ... not my emails"	PIO - D14 S/E - http://harriscountyares.org  APIC - D1 & D14 - http://www.arrlstx.org	Life is hard, church shouldn't be!  http://fairmontpark.org