[VHFcontesting] Most wanted grids

beamar beamar at aol.com
Wed Aug 21 09:22:47 EDT 2013

I remember reading the original article in QST. But, I don't remember
the methodology that was used to derive the map. I am not really into
databases. I will let somebody else come up with a way to ascertain
the most wanted grids. Rovers have a huge effect on the rareness of a
grid square. Grids that do not have that many stations, that have
active rovers in the region, are not that rare. To me, it is a service
to the Amateur Community to activate a grid during a contest. The
person who posted here, after the UHF contest, about hiking to a rare
grid, on top of a mountain, is to be commended. As Mike said, none of
this is cheap. My venture to EM 91, for the UHF contest, between
equipment purchases and hotel, probably cost a little under $2K. That
is a pittance compared to what Marshall & Co. spent to go to EL 84.

Buddy WB4OMG
in not so rare EL 98