[VHFcontesting] Grid map overlay for google maps

John_JK Kalenowsky_K9JK k9jk73 at msn.com
Fri Feb 1 17:22:02 EST 2013

Primarily for Paul KE1LIFN41 but leaving the list copied, expecting that others might be interested or have some additional ideas.

This can be done using KML within Google Maps.

Here's a link to a Google Map that I created showing the MAJOR (2-letter) Grid Borders over the U.S.:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=203396084490934867409.0004c3798e0902abd699f

And here's a KML Structure that will create ONE of the lines shown in that map (40N from 126W to 60W):

<Placemark>
    <name>40N</name>
    <LineString>
      <coordinates>
        -126.000000,40.000000,0.000000
        -60.000000,40.000000,0.000000
      </coordinates>
    </LineString>
    <Style>
      <LineStyle>
        <color>FF009900</color>
        <width>2</width>
      </LineStyle>
    </Style>
</Placemark>

You will also need a KML Header such as:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
<Document>

before the KML Line(s) and a KML Trailer such as:

</Document>
</kml>

Following the KML Lines(s) to have a complete KML file that can be 'imported' to Google Maps.

NOW, to put TEXT on the map to 'name'  each Grid Square is something that I've NOT figured out.

An alternate approach might be to draw each Grid Square separately and overlaying them but that will duplicate a LOT of line segments

73, JK (or K9JKEN52 if you prefer)