[VHFcontesting] SPAM

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 23:00:54 EST 2013

There is a HUGE problem with Yahoo accounts right now. They are being
hacked left and right. I am sure Frank does (or did) not know this was
happening.

My understanding is that, although there could be several different
ways these hackers are getting into Yahoo accounts, there is one main
way this is occurring. People log into their Yahoo accounts to read
mail or look at a Yahoo group. Yahoo places a cookie on your computer
when you do so. Then people close their browsers or tabs for the Yahoo
mail or group but remain connected to Internet without logging off
Yahoo. The hackers gain access to the computer, hijack the cookie and
gain access to the account. They usually send the spam to that
person's whole address book.

The solution is simple - each time you're done reading your Yahoo
mail, log off your account. That makes the cookie for that session
useless. And if you've been hacked, log off, log back in, change your
password and log off again.

Another thing I do - I don't keep an address book on Yahoo.

73, Zack W9SZ