[VHFcontesting] Let's get this FM operation organized

Jacob Tenannt jacob.tennant at live.com
Sat Jan 19 21:59:08 EST 2013

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,
I have been away from contesting for a few years but some of you may remember me as K8JWT.
As I see it as I am getting ready to return to contesting after finishing my college degree in IT and have a better financial setup in life and I welcome this addition as I was not aware of the "FM Only" class or I would have been out this weekend myself.
>From a Project Manager's view of this situation we need to get this situation organized so that all parties involved understand where to listen and when.
In this respect some of us interested in this FM Only operations should coordinate our efforts with the ARRL rules to setup a website listing this information so others can get on the right frequencies at the right times.
Maybe we could talk to the ARRL about setting up some web space detailing this information?
Also we should involve the long time SSB/CW contesters so as to encourage them to join in as well?
I remember my first few attempts at ROVER contesting with only a 6meter SSB radio and a dual-band mobile radio, at that time FM was a afterthought in the VHF contest but it was all I had and I made more contact with the FM rig than I did the SSB rib.
We have all contemplated the decrease in VHF contesting activity over the years and this appears to be a great way to encourage contesting activity by getting them "hooked on contesting" with FM then the eventual migration to SSB/CW will be easier.
>From what I have seen in this reflectors archive of the last few months is bickering over whether or not we can use 146.520 NSF!  Let's get beyond that and lok at the big picture.  If we can get the information about this new class out to the general ham population in a easily accessed manner, develop operations that don't offend the SSB/CW operators, and EVERYONE give the FM Only class a chance I think we could all benefit from this change.
In that thinking I am already planning on a FM Only operation for the June VHF contest, if the class is offered< as a way to encourage some of the new hams I am assisting in teaching as a VEC to come out and experience simplex operations.
Just my thoughts on this interesting subject. . .
Jacob Tennant - WF8S