[VHFcontesting] Slow Contest & Missing W4ZRZ

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sat Jan 19 21:05:19 EST 2013

Perhaps the slowest contest that I can remember in the six years I've
been doing this event. Not sure if it's the HF contest, or what.

Fortunately, we had several locals turn out for the combination ARES
Exercise/Contest, including two that went "hilltop roving" and I managed
a few local contacts with them. FM has netted a lot more contacts that
SSB/CW today.

Also, local big gun W4ZRZ Jimmy hasn't been on much today either. I
didn't realize how much us small pistols rely on
Jimmy to attract other stations to swing their beams this way.

You know it's a bad contest when you're three hours into the event
before you work someone outside your own grid!
Making it worse, Murphy has reared his head---IC-910H is shaky on it's
432 output, something is wrong with my
222 transverter, and other issues.

I'm trying to put the time to good use by working on the "VHF To Do"
list in the shack. Maybe things will improve overnight or tomorrow.

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID