[VHFcontesting] Date of the January Contest

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Sun Jan 27 21:05:18 EST 2013

Hello Jeff and all the other VHF operators....

Do people actually stop contesting so they can watch a stupid football
game?????  SLAP!!  OK, reality has returned.....  I am FOR anything that
will make our contests better.  Careful scheduling is certainly
something that we need to do.

This year, we had NAQP and the Jan VHF contest on the same weekend.
Does the right hand of the ARRL not know what the left hand is doing??
I know several good VHF ops that decided to do NAQP rather than the Jan
VHF contest.  This was a big loss to our contest....if they had decided
to run the VHF contest instead of NAQP, I doubt that anyone would have
noticed.  My point is that even a "small" distraction disproportionately
hurts us and our contest.

Super Bowl Sunday now seems to be the first Sunday in February. Is that
correct??  Is it now fixed so that we can plan in the future??  As I
recall, the Super Bowl used to be in January, but the NFL kept moving it
backwards until it now has landed in February.

Concerning Jeff's idea of moving the Jan contest to the weekend before
the Super Bowl: That is certainly a workable idea.  As he mentioned, it
would put the contest further away from the Winter Es season.

Your mention of the Winter Es season has gotten me to think in a
different direction.  We had a really nice Es opening on 6M in 2012 and
a fair one in 2013.  It would really be wonderful if the contest were
close to the peak of the Winter Es season.  Lots of Es on 6M would be a
GREAT contest enhancer. Suppose the Jan contest were held on the first
weekend of January.  Someone is going to jump up and say that there are
playoff games then, too.  Probably, that is true, but they would be of a
lot less significance.

OK, suppose we could avoid the football games altogether??  I would
suggest that we consider having the January contest start at 0000Z on
FRIDAY night and continue to 1600Z on Sunday morning. This scheme would
give us two nights and two mornings to take advantage of any extended
propagation that might occur.  That is a total time of 40 hours as
opposed to the 33 hours straight that we have now.  For me, the 33 hours
straight is one really hard slog in the mud.  Suppose we included two
"breaks" or "quiet periods" of 5 hours each.  Then the total time on the
air would be 30 hours.  The "breaks" could be scheduled late at night
where there is practically no activity anyway.  I believe that the
single op stations sleep during these hours now.  Getting some sleep
would really help AND more time in the contest would be during
productive hours.

The time from the start of the contest to the end of the contest would
be longer, but the total time on the air would be shorter. More
importantly, the non-break times would be much more in the realm of
"prime time".  There are several HF contests that start at 0000Z on
Friday and have breaks in them, so this does not seem to be a huge
departure from other contests.  I do know this....getting some sleep on
Friday night and Saturday night would really be welcome.

I can see only one possible "snag" with the above idea.  It would
probably hurt the rovers.  They would be on the road for 2 days and
nights as opposed to the 1 night that they have now.  However, this
would allow the rovers to stop and get a decent night's sleep rather
than driving all night and all day so that they can locate a bridge
abutment somewhere.  Of course, the rovers could also take advantage of
the two nights and two mornings which should give them more time with
good propagation characteristics.

The argument that "we have never done it this way, so we can't change"
OR the NIH argument(Not Invented Here) are not worth consideration.
There may be some serious objection to a plan such as this(other than
"its different").  Of course, we don't have to change the June or Sept
contest at all as there are no football games scheduled in those months.

I believe that this scheme has the same chance of being adopted as the
proverbial "snowball in hell", but it is something worth thinking
about.  It would get us away from the football games completely.....no
matter which weekend in Jan was chosen for the contest.  NOW, if we can
just get the Jan VHF contest off the same weekend as NAQP......

73 Marshall K5QE