[VHFcontesting] Date of the January Contest

Radioman radioman at steamboatnews.com
Mon Jan 28 20:48:24 EST 2013

I am opposed to moving the January contest to a later date. Moving it
earlier would be OK with me.

Who knows how the NFL will schedule games in the future. If they can figure
out how to add another weekend or two of games they'll do it. More games
means more revenue.

I've roved in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. I don't think I ever
operated from a grid where I didn't make at least a half dozen contacts on
6, 2 and 70 cm.

On the other hand I've roved in Wyoming, Western Nebraska and Colorado in
grids where I didn't make a single contact on any band even in the June
contest. I don't think I would consider leaving Colorado and going to the
Northeast to rove in January due to unpredictable weather. That means roving
in January within about 150 miles of Denver. If the contest was later and
further from the Winter Es peak, I'd probably stay home and not rove at all.
It's just too expensive and difficult in January weather to go out and rove
in rare grids and face the pretty certain prospect of no 6M Es. The current
weekend at least has a chance of one short Es opening. I don't think a few
additional stations on the air for 3 hours in an urban populated area due to
no football games would make up for the lack of 6M Es.

I will have to give more thought to Marshall's proposal of different
operating hours. The thought of not missing contacts overnight and getting
more sleep is positive, but in many cases it would mean a third night or
maybe even four in a hotel thus adding even more expense.

73,
Harry Blakeman, W0BL
DM79iq, Golden, Colorado