[VHFcontesting] EN39 on the air on 6m de KC8QVO/VE3

steve d kc8qvo at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 12:46:08 EDT 2013

All,

I have my station up and running as of about 7pm central time last night. So far I have about 10-12 contacts logged - all during the large auroral opening yesterday. That was quite a surprise. I have worked 2 auroral openings in all the time I have brought my radio gear with me and the first round of QSO's this trip was all aurora. Pretty cool.

So far my operating is concentrated around 50.125 to get QSO's rolling and moving up to 50.130 once the pile up builds. I don't know what band conditions will be going forward, but if things ramp up more I will inch my way towards 50.140. If there is a real big Es opening you will probably find me up over 50.200.

I have 2 stations going right now. The main station is set up in the usual spot with a TS-2000 at 100w in to a 5 element beam up on a rotator about 35' off the water. The other station is set up in our secondary cabin further north. I have both my KX3 and RCI-5054DX over there, both 10 watt radios, and a Buddistick antenna right now. I will try throwing up a dipole over there maybe this evening.

The secondary cabin is where I'm staying at night, so I'll be away from the beam. If the band ramps up I'll hike back up to the main station. I keep the RCI-5054DX on, volume high, and the squelch on so if the band pops open it will wake me up HI. If the conditions are good enough I'll switch to the KX3 and try a few contacts, but generally speaking most of my QSO's will be out of the main station with the beam.

If you do hear me/work me - please post up on the reflectors. VHFDX is what I usually use but any and all of them are good.

Steve, KC8QVO/VE3