[VHFcontesting] 5 Band VUCC & VUCC Triple-Play

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Fri Jun 21 09:49:29 EDT 2013

Hi Les,

I like it, it sounds super fun, when can we start?  Oh wait, I need another few bands besides 2m, OK, I have some station improvements to make.

One thing I would like to see from all awards...
In addition to the sequence number of the award i.e. #1, #2...#400, I would like to see the "completion date" on the award.   The completion date would be the date-time stamp of the youngest (or latest logged) QSL card used to complete the award.

Paul,
kg7hf

	----- Original Message -----  From: Les Rayburn <les at highnoonfilm.com>  To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting at contesting.com>  Sent: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 04:17:35 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: [VHFcontesting] 5 Band VUCC & VUCC Triple-Play	After some persuasive arguments and constructive criticism from Paul   K7CW, Sebastian W4AS, and Pete WA7JTM I've decided to modify my proposal   for the creation of a new 5 Band VUCC Award.	  * Eliminate the requirement to "reset to zero" all previous grids	  worked and confirmed.	* Eliminate a requirement to include at least one of the low bands	  like 2 Meters or 6 Meters.	* Insure that the 5 Band VUCC Award complies with all existing rules	  and requirements for VUCC Awards, with no changes needed. This will	  reduce the cost to administer the award, and minimize programming	  changes needed for Logbook of the World.	  But Pete WA7JTM made some some great points about how activity has   declined in the past few years as many experienced VHF operators have   worked nearly all possible grids in their area. His suggestion caused me   to do more research on other awards that the ARRL has recently   implemented. Inspiration came in the form of the Worked All States (WAS)   Triple-Play Award.	So in addition to the 5 Band VUCC Award, I'm proposing the establishment   of a VUCC Triple-Play Award that would allow operators to earn VUCC on   any amateur band above 50 MHz provided that they could  work the required number of contacts for a basic VUCC Award, but on each   of the three modes Phone, CW, and Digital.	For example, you could earn VUCC Triple-Play on 432 by confirmed   contacts with 50 Grids in Phone, CW, and Digital Modes. All previous   grids confirmed in the past would count towards the new award, but  it would be a rare station that has already earned this award passed   purely on past contacts.	  * Insure that VUCC Triple-Play complies with the existing rules for	  VUCC, with no changes needed. Keep costs to administer low, and make	  programming in LoTW easier.	* Allow all previous confirmed grids to count towards the new award.	* Any digital mode would be acceptable. While I expect WSJT modes	  would dominate, PSK, RTTY, and others would qualify too.	* Satellite operators could join the fun by digipeating through the	  International Space Station and digital satellites. Tough but possible!	  This would serve my original purpose of immediately increasing on-air   activity especially during contests when more grid-chasers would turn   out hoping to pick up new grids. And everyone would be happy because they  wouldn't see a lifetime of accomplishments wiped clean by resetting to   zero.	I hope that others will continue to offer constructive criticism, and   join me in writing their Division Directors and Vice Directors, along   with their VUAC reps to support these ideas. VHF-UHF operation could use   a shot in the arm, and this a great way to do it.	Thanks to all who took the time to offer their thoughts on this proposal.	--   --  73,	Les Rayburn, N1LF  121 Mayfair Park  Maylene, AL 35114  EM63nf	6M VUCC #1712  AMSAT #38965  Grid Bandits #222  Southeastern VHF Society  Central States VHF Society Life Member  Six Club #2484	Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light	_______________________________________________  VHFcontesting mailing list  VHFcontesting at contesting.com  http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/vhfcontesting