[VHFcontesting] VHF Infusion

Mike & Becca Krzystyniak k9mk at flash.net
Thu Sep 19 11:48:26 EDT 2013

Yup, here in north Texas the participation was the worse I have seen in many
years.  I had great expectations as DFW has one of the largest contest group
now with 135 members, and only a couple mmade it into my log.  That does not
say much for the 6M button theory.

I'm sure there are many reasons for the inactivity and I do share the
expressed perspectives, I have a couple other thoughts to offer.  A few of
the locals I know did not get on due to RFI concerns to their pacemakers (or
other family member).  Not to be cliché but since 2007 the state of the
union has impacted many, hams inclued.   I know several VHFers that either
their station or antenna was in disrepair.  Lastly is downsizing as times
marches on for all of us, taking some from us who were handing out reports
to the end.

My 2 cents is that an increasing median age, adjusting priority of personal
interests, and the current state of the union are dominant factors.

I was SUPER PLEASED to work 7 unique rovers that probably made up 20% of my
feable score.  They were out there both days at $4 a gallon of gas having
fun.  Thank you guys!

The upside, to Georges point, I had several guys follow me from band to band
because I "talked it up" on what I was doing next. And to my delight while
calling CQ incessantly on a dead band I worked a half dozen guys that were
novice-newbies that didn't know what grid square they were in.  Hopefully
these are folks are the future of our QSO base and we need to set the hook.
Making that first impression is the only chance we will have to do that.
Albeit a bit anxious at times I always try to give them a short QSO versus
"EM12 thanks"...

I know for January I plan to talk it up around here.  Great topic all,
thanks.

73  Mike K9MK/5  EM12