[VHFcontesting] Loops

Bruce Herrick bdh at teleport.com
Thu Sep 19 11:48:48 EDT 2013

I have roved successfully along the front range in CO, NE, and WY, as well as here in Maine using KB6KQ loops.  I used single loops on 6 and 222, a pair on 2, and a pair on 432.  I was consistently told that my 100W on 432 was louder than the 170W on 2 meters.

When I purchased the antennas, Norm, KB6KQ, told me to keep the 432 loops away from metal.  For mobile, he recommended a wooden (which I used) or fiberglas mast, and he strongly advised against mounting them on a tower leg.

Of course, YMMV, but it worked for me.

Bruce WW1M