[VHFcontesting] 10 Meters in ARRL VHF Contests

Mike (KA5CVH) Urich mike at ka5cvh.com
Fri Sep 20 17:04:58 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Doug MacKinnon <ve3gj at sympatico.ca> wrote:

What the hell good is it giving us more spectrum when so few are using
what we have already. Spend your time and efforts in an effort to get
people to push those buttons and get on regardless of what they have
as equipment or what we have as spectrum

Mike wrote

You get no argument from me.  What we need, according to the gospel of
Mike, is a year long period of time where the bands are just hopping.
 You know the kind of conditions where you can sit down at the rig and
spin across the SSB portion of any V/UHF band and hear Q's being made
just about any time of the day.

In lieu of that we have to make our own.  Other than when the K4N
bunch were down in EL84 I have never used an internet chat room for
the hobby.  I seldom ever go look at the clusters.  However the more I
think about it, the idea of using twitter as a spotting tool has some
merit, not the only answer, but some merit.  All you need is to set up
a twitter account and a cheap cell phone that will send and receive
texts.  I can be out driving some where and my twitter just blows up
with people posting that they are on the air and the bands are open.
Instead of making another stop or two I head home and to the shack.

--
Mike Urich KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

Obama, its "We The People", not you the president.

APIC - D1 & D14 - http://www.arrlstx.org
PIO - D14 S/E - http://harriscountyares.org
BayCERT - http://www.baycert.org/

Life is hard, church shouldn't be!