[VHFcontesting] 10 Meters in ARRL VHF Contests

John Geiger af5cc at fidmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:05:43 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug MacKinnon" <ve3gj at sympatico.ca>
The key is lack of participation by the amateur community in general. Only
real enthusiasts operate the contests.

I would definitely have to agree with us.  Logic would tell us that there
should be more participation on the VHF/UHF bands then there used to be,
given the availablity and cost of all mode rigs combining HF/6m/2m/70cm. Now
6m activity has really increased over what it used to be, but I think that
2m and 70cm has decreased since I started VHF contesting in the mid 80s. I
saw a FT100D for sale today for $425.  Who would have dreamed 15 years ago
of getting on 6m with 100 watts, 2m with 50 watts and 432 with 20 watts for
$425?  In a box smaller than the TR9130 I used to have?

I would be willing to bet that 75% of Icom 706/7000, Yaesu FT100/857/897
owners have never used the 2m and 70cm portion of their rigs on anything
other than FM.  How do we change this?

73 John AF5CC