[VHFcontesting] ARRL Program Services Committee Appoints Ad-Hoc Commitee on VHF and above contesting rules

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 21:49:25 EDT 2014

I haven’t seen this announced anywhere and I think the VHF contesting community will be interested in this new committee. The ARRL Board of Directors July meeting minutes includes a report on the Program Services Committee (PSC) that indicates that an Ad-Hoc committee has been formed to review and discuss various issues related to the ARRL VHF and above contest program.

< http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About%20ARRL/Committee%20Reports/2014/July/Doc_16.pdf >

While this was announced at the Central States VHF Conference, it has not yet received much distribution.

Here is the pertinent text:

"VHF and above contesting rules.
The PSC voted to authorize the appointment of an ad-hoc committee to review and discuss various issues related to the ARRL VHF and above contest program. The following individuals have been subsequently appointed to this committee:

 Kermit W9XA (Chairman)
 Dave Patton NN1N
 Marty Woll N6VI
 Doug Rehman K4AC
 Joel Harrison W5ZN (pending acceptance to my invite)

All have considerable VHF+ contesting experience and perspective through involvement with their respective VHF+ contesting communities, and I believe they will provide us with sound advice and recommendations that will enable PSC to tackle the challenge of improving the entire contesting program."

Other interesting points to VHFers in the report:

" PSC requested that headquarters staff explores opportunities to emphasize more activity of the 6 and 10 meters bands. Ideas included a combined 6- and 10-meter contest, a 10 meter grid square award, and emphasis on portable operations"

and

" Study the feasibility, pros/cons, etc. of potentially making submitted logs public for ARRL contests.”

as well as

" Investigate potential mobile categories for HF contesting.”

The minutes were written by Brian N5ZGT, PSC chairman.

Many of us were disappointed when the ARRL BOD decided to let the original VUCAC sunset last summer, as there was a lot of unfinished business, but it looks like they have decided that there are still issues to be addressed in VHF and above contesting and will attempt to address them. With a smaller group, perhaps it will be easier for this committee to converge on controversial issues. The ARRL web page has contact information for the members that are also ARRL BOD directors, which I think most are.

While I would hope that the members of the committee would solicit input from the VHF contesting community, if you have things that you think the committee should consider now is the time to contact them and get your concerns on the agenda. Remember to send a copy to your Division Director and Section Manager. Be productive, reasonable, logical, measured, and innovative with your suggestions. - Duffey KK6MC

--
KK6MC
James Duffey