[VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 14:51:41 EST 2014

I'm hoping it's not true. I wish conditions would improve, though. The last
time I saw a REALLY good VHF+ opening (besides 6m Es in the June and July
contests) was in 2008. I think if some of the VHF-active people in this
area saw that the bands were in good shape, they may be enticed to get on
and operate. I've noticed several calls I've logged in past contests who I
haven't heard in a while.

I'm still adding bands. I got 24 GHz working decently and worked my best
personal DX on 24 GHz with K3SIW in the August 10 GHz contest weekend last
year (107 miles). I'm working on 47 GHz now. I won't be working any 107
miles with it, but if I decide to operate close to someone who can work me
on that band, we might manage a few miles.

Meanwhile, I keep trying to make little improvements to the bands I do
have, from 50 MHz to 10 GHz. I'm putting together a couple "loaner"
transverters, too, so one of the local hams might go out and give me a few
QSO's.

73, Zack W9SZ