[VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

GeorgeF av8tor at flash.net
Sun Feb 9 17:12:21 EST 2014

Actually I did JT65 and FSK441 on 2 meters and made a far number of
Meteor Scatter Q's on 2m FSK and a few 2m JT65 EME Q's  Also I had high
power on 2 meters, running nearly 350 watts from a Tokyo HyPower amp.
When there is no one on the air all the power in the world won't help.

I made a lot of 144 CW and SSB Q's in the about 7 years I was on that
mode. But over the last couple years the trend kept going down and down.
  I had to ask myself, why do I have an Icom IC-910, nice antenna and
Tokyo amp to make a couple q's a month? Just my 2 meter setup a long was
about $3000, now without the IC-910 on the market or the Tokyo amp I
would have to spend $5000 for a setup of the same or better quality.
When there is no one on the air all the money in the world won't help.

Kinda funny (really not) story about 6 meters.  I did a lot of
contesting and took 1st place for my ARRL section in several contests
with a loop antenna running a kW (ACOM 1000 amp).  Then I thought I was
in heaven when I got my first 6 meter 3 element yagi (thanks N9HF for
helping build it).  Shortly after putting up the yagi I worked my first
JA on 6 meter CW.  It was a good 6mtr DX week, worked several new
countries, worked several new countries on HF that week too.  I have 205
DXCC countries worked, not bad for only being active about 7 years.
Well I had a bunch of QSL's ready to go out including the 6mtr JA. When
sending DX QSL's I always included a few dollars in the envelopes to
help with postage.  I had about 10 or say envelopes waiting to go out
just sitting on my desk for a month.   Well I decided, what the heck am
I doing, opened up the cards and put the cash back in my wallet.
Needless to say, never sent the JA card but that was the same time I was
starting to get fed up with lack of activity over the long haul, yeah
the short haul is good but with over $10k invested in a ham shack you
have to start to think, is it really worth it......

That's my story, you're welcome to yours,
George
www.MilAirComms.com