[VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

Jerry jer.sieg at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 9 14:59:51 EST 2014

I don't know.. I agree with what both George and Les are saying.. I
think it depends on how you look at 'Your Ideas of the Hobby'..and what
'You Want to Do' !  I have invested a 'Lot' of money over the years in
VHF/UHF..(considering 1296, 2.3, etc..in the future)  And I live in a
'Virtual Black Hole' of VHF(non FM) and Up activity ! When I was first
licensed in '84.. I asked the OT'rs in the local club about 2M SSB.. 'No
One uses SSB on 2M was their Response' !   Did not deter me (much) back
then..now when those OT'rs that are left hear I have 300W on 2M.. there
'Aghast' as to why anyone would need that much power on 2M !
Luckily..there are a few around, Still.. that 'know what I am
doing'..and explain it to them !
I got my Ham Ticket as it was called the 'Amateur Radio Operators
Experimental Service' !
So..that's what I do.. 'Experiment' !  I am 'Envious' of the East and
West Coasters during VHF/UHF Contests..as my closest 2M SSB Op's are
like 300mi away !  Sure.. my 'cost per QSO' is still probably pretty
high..which would deter 'most Op's from trying it.. but it's what 'I
Like to Do' ! Can I convince 'More' into the same..probably not ! So I
will continue my 'Experimental Service'..and see what is 'next on the
list' ! I was told a few years back..'keep looking Lunar'..you will Luck
Out !  And I did ! After that..it was 'now, what's next on the agenda' ?
I did that once..whats next ! I 'Play Radio'..its my Hobby..I Love
It..(she may have a different opinion !) If more and more keep
disappearing from the bands..I don't know..(even Less for me to Work'
!)  I am sure the Manufacturers go by 'What Sells', etc..! You would
think 'One of them' would jump back into the 'Multi-Mode' Rigs..back in
the time..the 736-R, IC-275, 375,475, 575, 1275.. etc. , made a 'Young
Ham Drool' ! Pretty limited now..although 'much better stuff' on the
limited market now !
I guess it comes down to..'Do I Sell Out..and Take a Loss'..or 'Ride Out
the Bubble' !  I am 'Keeping My Home..no matter what ever happens'..and
Rigs, Amps, Ant's..'Stay As Well' ! 73
Jerry
VE6CPP
DN39or