[VHFcontesting] Working K5QE in the ARRL June VHF Contest....

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Wed Jun 11 21:29:11 EDT 2014

Hello to all our friends in the VHF / WSJT world from the K5QE contest
team....

K5QE will be operating in the ARRL June VHF Contest and would really
appreciate any contacts that we can make via FSK441 or EME for that
"rare" grid.  The contest  begins 1800 UTC Saturday and ends 0300 UTC
Monday (Jun 14th - 16th, 2014).  For those of us still on local time,
that is 1PM CDST on Saturday to 10PM CDST Sunday night.

On 6M, we are going to try something new this year. AFTER 0100Z(=8PM
CDST Saturday), IF 6M is NOT open for Es, we will be calling CQ and
listening for JT65A contacts for the first 15min of each hour....unless
we see that this strategy is not working.  For the rest of each hour, we
will be running FSK441 meteor scatter.  We will operate JT65A on
50.276MHz, which is the standard CQ frequency for that mode.

Again, assuming that 6M is NOT open for Es, we will be operating and
running WSJT FSK441 digital meteor scatter for the last 45 min of each
hour, beginning at 0115Z Sunday morning(=8:15PM CDST Saturday night) on
a frequency of 50.265MHz.  We will follow normal sequencing--i.e. when
we are westernmost, we  we will take First sequence-when we are
easternmost, we will take Second Sequence.  However, most of the time,
we will be on First Sequence, because most stations are east of us.  We
will call CQ K5QE 265 on 50.260MHz--but we will work all callers on
50.265MHz.  If we happen to find a station calling CQ, we will answer
them on their given frequency.  This is a good opportunity for smaller
stations to get a DX contact on 6M, because the chances of an Es opening
late at night are not very good.  Please give us a try on 6M meteor
scatter.  We run 1KW output on 6M meteor scatter with fairly large
antennas.  Please remember that the contest requires the exchange of
GRIDS not 26 or 27.

On 2M, we can do MS from 0100Z until our moonrise, which is 0300Z Sunday
morning(10PM CDST Sat night). After that, we will be on 2M EME.  SO, we
can make MS schedules from 8PM CDST to 10PM CDST Sat night(0100Z to
0300Z Sunday).  We will run 2M MS on 144.142MHz.  IF you are 2M EME
capable, just look for us after 0300Z on 144.142MHz us Second Sequence
and call us if you see our trace.

On 2M, as on 6M, we will take the "normal" sequence(westernmost station
goes First).  We will call CQ K5QE 142 on 144.140MHz, but we will be
working stations on 144.142MHz.  If we find someone calling CQ
elsewhere, we will work that station on their frequency.  Again, this is
a good chance for smaller stations to get some good 2M DX and a "rare"
grid during the contest.  We get one too...a WIN-WIN situation!!  This
year, we have two antennas for 2M meteor scatter--a 9el M2 at 30ft for
shorter contacts and a stacked pair of 17el M2's at 160ft for long range
contacts.  We have 1KW output on 2M FSK.

On 6M and 2M, we will cease digital meteor scatter operations at 7AM
CDST(=1200Z) on Sunday morning and revert to normal tropo type operations.

Remember that stations with a single long yagi and QRO may be able to
work us on their rising moon using WSJT / JT65b. Find out when your
moonrise time is, point your tropo antenna at the right AZ, and call us
for 30-40min after your moonrise.  For stations way East of us, this may
not work as the moon may be too high before it rises here--so you will
have to work us on your moonset.  However, for everyone else, there is a
good chance that we can work.  Stations in the Central US and out West
get the increased gain from their rising moon, so give us a try.  In
years past, we easily worked stations in CN87 that just had a single
yagi pointed at the horizon, so it can be done.  We run 8 x 2M18XXX with
the custom EME elements and 1250W output(1500W output if it is a rare
one.....HI). Pictures of the EME antenna are on my web site.  It is a
really FB antenna and we would love to work you in the contest.......all
new multipliers gratefully appreciated.

We also have a FB 432 EME station up and running.  The antenna is 16 x
28el M2, all Horizontal, with 1KW output.  We will be operating on
432.070MHz taking Second Sequence.  If you have a single long yagi and
QRO, we should be able to work on your rising moon if you are located in
the Central or Western US. Stations East of us, please try us on your
setting moon.  Please look for us on 432 and work us if you can.  It
will be a new grid for us and a new initial and a new grid for you.
What a deal!!

Because we are a Multi-Multi station, we will be watching the PingJockey
reflector whenever we are running meteor scatter. However, we are not
allowed to "self spot"--so you can talk to us, we just can't talk back.
When we are on EME, we will be watching the N0UK EME-1 reflector.  If
you see us or work us, please SPOT us on PingJockey or the N0UK EME-1
reflector.  If you are not in the contest, you can post freely to the
reflectors.

Thank you in advance for spending some time to work us in the contest.
GL to everyone during the contest.

Please note my new email address..... k5qe at k5qe.com.  Thanks....

73 Marshall K5QE, EM31cj

www.k5qe.com