[VHFcontesting] LOTW & VHF

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Thu Jun 26 15:44:20 EDT 2014

Hello to all....here is just another reason why LOTW is such a poor
system.  IF I send in a log with contacts in EM31, EM21, EM20, and EM10,
every line of that log will have the correct grid already in it.  So
there is NO reason for me to have to tell TQSL(whatever that is) what
grid I was in.  The logs already show that.  WHY will LOTW not accept
the grid that is listed in each contact rather than requiring someone to
break up their logs into 4 different logs, one for each grid, and then
send them in 4 different times??  Most serious rovers will not even fool
with it.

Someone asked why VHFers won't use LOTW....this is just ONE of many
reasons.  ONCE, but never again, our QSL manager, Joey-W5TFW, tried to
enter the K5N DXpedition contacts into LOTW.  It turned into a
nightmare.  Stupid LOTW put every contact into the same grid....never
mind the grid actually shown in the contact.  It took a guru from LOTW
some serious work to straighten that one out.....actually, I am not sure
that it every got sorted out.

IF you are in love with this incredibly badly designed and executed
system, then nothing I can say will change you mind.  You can't talk
sense to heroin addicts or cigarette smokers either.

If anyone wants a QSL card from me, all they have to do is to send me
one of theirs.  I do appreciate an addressed envelope, but whether or
not you send one, you will get one of mine back.  This is the time
honored QSL system in place since the beginning of Amateur Radio.  I
don't want to see this system thrown away because people are too lazy or
too cheap to send out a real card.

73 Marshall K5QE