[VHFcontesting] PAR Moxon as rove antenna (James Duffey)

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:35:47 EDT 2014

Pertinent comments by James re. the Moxon vs. a loop antenna for Rover or portable operation. 4 - 5 dB gain over a loop may not sound like a lot... but it is significant. It will make the difference between calling CQ with no replies and running stations during openings. Hearing a weak DX station vs. putting them in your log. I have worked James when he was rover/portable in New Mexico on Es and he had a great signal on 6.

Another option for a rover operating fixed or a portable station on 6 meters is the 2 el yagi. I use one for my rover and portable operation. It has about the same gain as a Moxon, and my the only costs were the coax. I can put it up in less than 5 minutes and it breaks down and fits easily into a Hyuandai Elentra. The coax connects directly to the front driven element - no gamma match needed, and the SWR is almost a flat 1:1 at 50.125.  I use Radio Shack 5 ft. TV masts. A horizontal antenna will work much better on 6 if you can get it up at least 1 wavelength (18 feet) high.  15 feet is a reasonable compromise, 20 ft. is better. I also use a 3 el M2 yagi for portable use, but it takes a lot longer to put it together and  it is more cumbersome to put up. The 2 el is my choice for "pop up" fixed Rover operating and getting on the air quickly at a rest stop or high point. While DX results vary on conditions -- I have worked all continents on 6 with the 2 el yagi via Es including JW7QIA near the north pole from Kansas since 2006.

A plan for building a 2 element 6 meter yagi here:

http://www.qsl.net/k7yo/6m2yagi.htm

The Moxon or 2 el yagi are also good options for a 6 meter attic antenna.

 - Jon N0JK