[VHFcontesting] 432 Sprint and Spotting

w3sz 73w3sz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 16:51:45 EDT 2015

Hi Marshall et al,

Thanks for the great Falklands EME DXPEDITION!  The card you have sent
QSO partners is Beautiful!

You and those not living in the NorthEast are probably unaware that
Phil's note to the list did not arrive ex nihilo.  Rather, at the
recently convened NEWS conference there were two sessions involving
several dozen active VHF and UP'ers discussing the best way to make use
of the new ARRL VHF and UP rules.  Phil chaired both of these sessions.
Lots of bright guys were in attendance and contributed :)

Chat pages were discussed along with other newly available modalities at
these sessions, which spanned at least a couple of hours of freewheeling
discussion.

Many operators indicated that they did not want "one more thing" to have
to watch during a contest.  That is, they didn't want to have to keep an
eye on a chat page.

It was pointed out that the major logging programs e.g. N1MM+ and
WriteLog already have cluster access built into them.  Furthermore, it
was pointed out that it is simple to set filters to limit spots to
frequencies of 50 MHz and above [or even to set filters band by band].
Filters can also be set up simply by geographical region [e.g. states,
as long as the call is in the usdb database].  For those of you who are
not familiar with filters, you can get a taste of what they can do at:
http://www.dxcluster.org/main/filtering_en.html

So it is a simple matter to set up the cluster spot window in your
logging program to include any/all bands 40 MHz and above, and no HF
bands.  It is a simple matter to setup the cluster spot window to
include whatever geographic region that you want.  You can limit by
geographic area if you desire, or keep it wide open.

Those present were much more amenable to keeping an eye on a cluster
spot window in a logging program than they were to adding a chat window
to their armamentarium, possibly because many of them are also HF
contesters, and are already used to keeping an eye on their logger's
cluster spot window.

So this idea has already been discussed by dozens of East Coast VHF
stations, and we are going to proceed at this point, after extensive and
freewheeling discussion, by using the clusters.  Every operator is free
to use or not use the clusters, chat pages, whatever. Certainly there
will be changes in operating procedures as we proceed.  But for ANY of
these methods to work, a critical mass of users is necessary.  At this
point we are going to try to achieve this using the clusters.  It is
most important for hams within a region to all follow a similar path.
If hams in different regions follow different paths, the detrimental
effect of disparate behavior will be much less than the effect of hams
within a region following multiple different paths, and thus ensuring
that no path reaches the critical mass of participants required for success.

There are other ideas that we discussed at the NEWS Conference on how to
make the clusters even more useful.  I believe that there will be more
information forthcoming on all of this at some point in the near to
moderately near future.  As I am not the one writing up the Conference
Summary, I will not attempt to offer a more specific time frame.

Others who were at the sessions may wish to chime in.  Different
observers always have differences in their reporting of any event.

Very 73,

Roger Rehr W3SZ

http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz