[VHFcontesting] Spotting and the DX Cluster in VHF contesting...

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Tue Apr 28 20:50:51 EDT 2015

Hello all...well, at least we have the beginnings of some kind of
rational discussion about the spotting problem.

Apparently, the east coast believes that the DX Cluster spots are the
way to go.  When you can post, "I hear weak pings on 50.265 please
continue calling on 2nd sequence", then maybe the DX Cluster spots will
be useful.  Or maybe, "W3XYZ, please call me on 144.142 on FSK".  Maybe
their way will turn out to be a winner, but I think that we need a lot
more than what you can get on a cluster spot.  Remember, we are allowed
to post a lot more than just, "I see W4XYZ on 50.125".

Many others have recommended the ON4KST chat pages(of which there are
several).  When we were at DL88 running the K5N call, we posted that we
would use the ON4KST Region 2 50MHz chat page as our primary page.  The
ENTIRE time we were there, the Region 2 50MHz chat page was filled with
European operators discussing their feedlines and everything else but
Region 2 and 50MHz.  I could hardly get a post in edgewise.  I have
never used the ON4KST pages again.  But maybe that would be a valid way
to proceed.

Jay-W9RM makes the point that we MUST NOT split up into many different
ways to do this.  He has a point.  However, it is probably not going to
be useful to have a bunch of meteor scatter guys posting to a page
normally devoted to JT65.  So, some segregation seems necessary.

I said before and I will say it again, "I don't exactly know how to do
this".  Jay is right that we need to figure this problem
out.....otherwise, we will end up with small groups scattered all over
the place--which certainly will not result in more QSOs.  Currently, we
have PingJockey for meteor scatter and the EME-1 page for those
interested in EME.  Probably, ON4KST has similar pages, so if we just
use those two, we are already split in half.

OH, what to do, what to do??

Rational thoughts, new ideas, and / or intelligent solutions are
welcome.  Flames will go directly to the bit bucket.  They will not pass
GO and will not collect $200.

Thanks in advance for rational ideas and good discussion.

73 Marshall K5QE