[VHFcontesting] K1DY/R 432 Sprint results

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 30 10:36:36 EDT 2015

Hi gang, I got to my normal FN55 site just after the start of the contest. ran a sked with K3TUF in FN11 and heard nothing.. Conditions seemed pretty flat. By 9PM I worked 9 stations in 4 grids (FN30, FN31, FN42, FN43), then at 9 had a sked with WB2RVX in FM29. I actually heard (both) calls from Mike, but it was pretty clear he didn't hear me.. this was around 9:08 local. I quickly shut down and rushed down to FN54 and got reset just before 10.. There really was NO ONE left on the band,.. that I could hear anyway.. I knew K1TEO would eventually get on some time after 10 because he told me that before the contest. So I hung out and then worked Jeff in FN31 for my only QSO from my second grid and that was it. I shut down around 10:30 with nothing more heard and lots of CQ's. .. So here's a problem for me as a rover.. In order to be classified as a rover I have to activate 2 grids minimum.. I assume that means I need to make at least one QSO from each of 2 or more grids. Assuming SOME travel time between grids (in my case about 40 minutes) and if everyone shuts down before 10 because of lack of activity, it really makes operating as a rover difficult. It kind of makes a 4 hour contest 2 hours long even though I was willing to operate the whole 4. I know,... it's a work night.. Anyway I had fun and thanks to those who pointed this way and those who told others to point this way. Best DX NY2NY in FN30.. Not sure of the score, does that matter?, hi!

Bill, K1DY in Maine