[VHFcontesting] Assistance in the VHF Contest (George Fremin III)

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 9 00:28:26 EDT 2015

George brings up an interesting point about the VHF Contests. CW can be used out of the CW part of the band. And you can log and count "cross mode" contacts such as CW to SSB for credit. Last week Yuri, UT1FG/mm was on 50.125 MHz SSB from FL09. He was weak with QSB and had trouble getting hearing me. I dropped my call in on CW and he picked right up on it.

For Rovers and single op QRP portables -- calling on CW will often get a  good SSB op's attention. As George notes, CW useful for weak double hop and foreign DX. I have also operated on the high power big antenna end in VHF contests -- and it is amazing how a weak CW signal can pop through when running a SSB pileup.

I am planning to be s/o QRP Portable in EM18 for the contest. 50, 144, 432 and 1296 MHz.  - Jon N0JK