[VHFcontesting] Entering as a Mobile (/M) in Contests

Mike (KA5CVH) Urich mike at ka5cvh.com
Sun Jun 14 13:30:33 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 7:54 PM, James Duffey <jamesduffey at comcast.net> wrote:

> Yes, mobiles are not treated well in the rules if they stay in one grid.

Mike wrote

One could make the argument that anyone "mobile" is roving around from
one spot to another.  The issue as I see it is in the scoring.  Rovers
who do operate from more than one grid have a significant scoring
advantage over those who one operate from one grid.  How many grids
they want to operate from is their call.

Now OTOH, one may also argue ... just how many more "categories" do we
need?  There are already like 10-12.  Do we really need;

Mobile
Limited mobile
Unlimited Mobile
Multi-Op Mobile
ad nauseuam

On a similar note. I recently approached those who run the TX-QSO
Party about a "portable" category for those who would like to go
operate from a park in a somewhat "rare" county.  These stations are
lumped (unfairly?) in with fixed stations with much better antenna
systems etc etc.  Their (TQP) objection is based on adding more
categories & the awards that go along with them.  OK, it was a
thought.

--
Mike Urich KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

I want a government small enough to fit inside the constitution.