[VHFcontesting] ARRL June VHF QP Participation Question

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 09:53:06 EDT 2015

>"The FT-897 certainly is nothing to write home about when it comes to VHF/UHF operation, but I couldn?t bring myself to try to find and unbox the IC-275H for the amount of activity I was hearing. Signals from stations (on 2m) at 175-200 miles were consistently very strong (S9+, whatever that means on an 897), even on a simple turnstile, which made me think that I should be hearing many more weaker stations. - Alex KR1ST"

I use the FT-897 on 6 - 144 -  432. It hears very well on 6 as is and is adequate for portable work on 2 meters without a pre-amp. I have worked W1, W2, and VE3 on 2 meter tropo with it from Kansas and a single yagi. On 432 MHz the FT-897 will definitely benefit with a pre-amp.  I often work into the Chicago, IL area during the summer on 70 cm with the stock FT-897 and a single quagi from KS.

 - Jon N0JK